The advantages of baby wearing while travelling are many, too many to list. I have found baby carriers to be one of my most valuable possessions as a parent, particularly a travelling parent! While I love using a pram for everyday walks around my local area, I have never taken one on a holiday. I’ve always chosen a baby carrier rather than a pram, here’s why…
- Using a pram to get around can be hard. I find it challenging to manoeuvre through crowds of people, tricky to load in and out of the car and near impossible when faced with a flight of stairs. All of these scenarios are almost guaranteed when travelling. Wearing your baby in a carrier, wrap or sling makes crowds insignificant, getting into a car easy and allows you to run up the stairs if you really want to!
- Travel can be overwhelming for adults and is especially so for children. With all the new sights and sounds little ones can easily get emotional and clingy. Being in a baby carrier where they feel physically safe and secure is hugely reassuring for them and can eliminate a potentially stressful meltdown for you.
- The safety and security your child feels when being worn also helps them to sleep comfortably and we all know how important that is, ESPECIALLY while travelling!!
- Moving through crowds, airport checkpoints and sightseeing in new cities is made much easier without a pram. Having both your hands free to fill out forms, feed yourself on the go and hold luggage is made possible by wearing your baby.
- Finding yourself in crowded places with a young child can bring up issues of safety. Keeping your little one close means less chance of getting separated from them…. and you cant get much closer than having them attached!
- Packing light can be a challenge, especially when you have a young child! Baby carriers are light and most fold up very small; small enough to place in a nappy bag or carry on. Prams, on the other hand, can be very heavy, awkward to fold and are too large to pack away, meaning you need to take an extra piece of luggage everywhere you go.
- Family travel often sees us accompanied by a mountain of luggage, usually too much for one person to wheel around, baby wearing frees up your hands so you can wheel along a suitcase or trolley without also having to chase after your child.
There are many different baby carriers in the market. They vary in price, comfort and ease of use.
For babies who are a few months old all the way up to 20kg toddlers, my saving grace is a Tula. Tula’s are easy to use, weigh nearly nothing, fold down very small, are ergonomically designed (very important!), super comfortable and look great! They aren’t cheap but are worth their cost ten times over in the piece of mind and convenience they offer.
Next time you are travelling, do yourself a favour, leave the pram at home and take a baby carrier instead.